Reflecting on some art happenings of the past few weeks ...
- Art in the Rough - Imlay City, 3rd annual. Very nice, unique event.The VIP reception was lovely - great food and music, wonderful ambiance. The art displays in the businesses all looked terrific. (Thank you LAA for including pics of my display on your website! 6th, 7th & 9th rows on this page.) I enjoyed wandering around and mingling with the other artists, I was not familiar with many of them. The outdoor setup and offerings were all very nice. Familiar main issue though - sparse attendance. How the heck do you get people to come out to these arty events in Lapeer County? *sigh* The people that were there seemed to be enjoying themselves, as did I. I would do it again. Overall, more ups than downs.
- Classes - 3 down, 1 to go for me this fall. Acrylic painting went well, although only 2 participants. Mandala drawing had 4 signed up, one didn't show so we had 3. Portraits - cancelled, again. *sigh* (again.) Mandala painting is coming up Oct. 22, then I'm done til spring. So far, a mix of ups and downs.
- Illustration exhibit - I still had most of the prints and bios from a Feb. 2016 Gallery 194 illustration exhibit (don't judge me), couldn't bring myself to throw them out, and finally found a home a home for them. The owner of Arts Iliana Gallery in Terre Haute Indiana expressed an interest, I boxed it all up and mailed it, he received it today. I can hardly wait to see what he does with it. Bonus: I have a new connection with an out of state gallery. Bonus #2: I cleared some more stuff out of my basement. Definitely an up - or is that 3?
- Fiber Art Junkies - Last month I finally attended a meeting! It's more of a gathering/creative session actually. What a wonderful, welcoming, incredibly talented group. I wasn't able to go to the October meeting but I will definitely go again. I can already feel the wheels spinning in new directions after one meeting - no pun intended (fiber arts, spinning wheels ... oh never mind.) Another up, although it may be considered off to the side?
- Sewl Art Studio - After a brief foray into painting, trying to finish some new work for Art in the Rough and not succeeding, I'm back to sewing again. One new bag has just been added to the shop and another is in progress. I'm still working on figuring out etsy - things like shop policies, custom vs. calculated shipping, shop page layout (can I sort my listings into categories? And how do I get that darn banner pic to show up? etc.) But the pre-etsy bag delivery to Russia has been completed! And Fay loves her bag. One more up/off to the side.
Final tally for the past few weeks: pretty balanced. Much like life.
some of my work at Art in the Rough (photo courtesy of Rhonda Porzadek)