Update time. The art quilt thingy is coming along ... slowly, haltingly. I got the background done, with lots of little issues along the way, particularly the top thread shredding and breaking. Is it the needle? The thread? I changed both, and cleaned my machine, yet it still happened sporadically. I suspect my foundation fabric (an old percale sheet) may be a factor, and that I can't change. Very aggravating. But I got through it.
While I was working on the background, my husband and I were setting up my quilting machine frame for the first time in our new home. And for the first time, it is being set up at the full 12-ft. width instead of the smaller 6-ft. option. (It looks HUGE.) Unfortunately, one of the adjustable rubber feet had broken during the move which we didn't discover until we were setting it up. A new foot is now on order and will take about 2 weeks to come in; set up is on hold until then.
So back to the quilt. After finishing the background. I wanted to do the quilting before adding any embellishments, but now with having to wait for that foot, I didn't want to wait that long. So I started adding some of the ribbon in certain spots where it won't interfere with the quilting. Of course, this was preceded by trips to several craft stores because in spite of my vast stash, I just didn't have the right colors. Then today I worked on the flower, and finished it .... and then decided I don't like it. I tried telling myself it doesn't have to be a masterpiece, it's my first time trying something like this, blah blah. That's not working. I know I can do better. Tomorrow I will probably rip the flower all out and start over.
Part of me wishes I hadn't posted about this project with such optimism a week ago. The other part of me is glad I did because making it public is an incentive to keep plugging away. So here's the progress to date, minus the yukky flower. More to come. But it may take a while.